How To Save Money on Amazon Prime Day
Here are a few of my tips for approaching Amazon Prime Day.
1. If you don't need anything, don't buy anything. Don't visit the website. Don't open the app. And don't respond to other retailer offers that will try to match the frenzy. This is the surest way to save money. Instead, take a friend out to lunch, read a good book or go for a hike outdoors. You'll likely find more enjoyment in these experiences.
2. If there is one item that you have been waiting to purchase, only shop for that one item. Use the search feature and not the browse feature. This will hopefully help you to stay focused on the task at hand - to get that one item.
3. If you can't resist, join in. But set a budget based on what you can afford and do not buy more than your budget. Once you reach your budget, close your browser and don't reopen it.
4. Look on Amazon, but compare prices on other sites like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, REI, etc. Almost all major retailers try to compete with Amazon and offer deals on or before Amazon Prime Day. And don't forget to shop locally. If you find a great deal on Amazon, call your local retailer and see if they can match the price or come close to the price. You money creates more value within your community when you shop locally.
4. If you're all in. These are the deals to look for:
Amazon Branded Devices like Echo, Fire Tablets, Kindles and Ring Doorbells. Amazon is able to sell these items at discounted prices as loss leaders or gateway products.
Household Essentials like Coffee, Pans, Instapots and Vacuum Cleaners. It there are things that you use on a regular basis, it may be worth it to purchase it now. However, try to realistically assess if the item is an essential or a luxury.
Mens and Womens Fashion There are some good deals to be had, but this is one category where it is very easy to buy things that you may really want, but really do not need.
Travel and Outdoor Products There are some great deals in this category, but really all of these items could be considered luxury purchases. Be wise.
Have fun during Amazon Prime Day. Just remember, the best way to save money is to not buy anything at all. :)